Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: GTO Cam Upgrade

Hybrid View

Default GTO Cam Upgrade

Is there any cam upgrade I can do to my GTO to improve it, speed, smoothness, accuracy?

Thanks,

Jay

Respected Member Ten Point bfoot's Avatar

I am getting 284 fps with a 465 grain arrow, 29" draw, 70 lb limbs. That works out to 322 fps for a 29" draw so should be a few fps more for a 30" draw so with a 30" draw should be right at 330 actual with a d loop and meta peep and four nocks on each end.
    15 Elites - 1 GTO, 3 E-500s, 1 Synergy, 2 SynXTs, 4 Envys, a 2008.5 Z28, 2 2008.5 GT500, a Aigil, Impulse
    2 K&K Vengeance , 2011 PSE Axe 6, 2011 Hoyt Carbon Element, Four Tributes and one Allegiance

Frankenbow Freak

But elite edvertised them at 340-350 IBO...That would be 20fps off...I have heard of people getting ibo after crackers has tuned them. Was yours tuned by anyone in particular and if so how much was it?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by watsonjay View Post
    But elite edvertised them at 340-350 IBO...That would be 20fps off...I have heard of people getting ibo after crackers has tuned them. Was yours tuned by anyone in particular and if so how much was it?

Thanks
    Tuned it myself. First thing to do is put string and cables under 100lbs tension and make sure they are exactly correct. Then I adjust the cables where they just barely touch the peg closest to the axle where the cable attaches. Make sure they are synched at full draw and set stops 1/16" before they touch the flat side of cam. Also, if you do not have speed nocks try putting the large brass nocks 41/2" measured from axle of cam to string. Start with two check speed. If faster add another and check. if faster add another until speed drops off, then cover with shrink tubing. I usually get 5-10 fps gain from that alone. Also, lower let off usually means faster speed.

It takes time and patience to tune it to fastest speed. I have spent an entire day doing this before. You need a press, draw board, chrono and the usual bow tuning tools,i.e. bow square, arrow level etc.

Good luck.
    bob

PS - feel free to PM me if I can help. Also, GTOs are notorious for overrating the IBO (but they all are)
    15 Elites - 1 GTO, 3 E-500s, 1 Synergy, 2 SynXTs, 4 Envys, a 2008.5 Z28, 2 2008.5 GT500, a Aigil, Impulse
    2 K&K Vengeance , 2011 PSE Axe 6, 2011 Hoyt Carbon Element, Four Tributes and one Allegiance

Frankenbow Freak

Senior Member Eight Point cordini's Avatar

Here's the deal on the GTO....Most never made the advertised IBO, but it was & still is a great shooting bow. There are ways to get a chrono to get "hotter" readings....Don't get hung up on the numbers. I look for results....GTO was one of the best shooting bows I ever owned....
    Muley Mania - - ND Badlands!

2008 GTO....Never letting this one go!

Quote Originally Posted by cordini View Post
    Here's the deal on the GTO....Most never made the advertised IBO, but it was & still is a great shooting bow. There are ways to get a chrono to get "hotter" readings....Don't get hung up on the numbers. I look for results....GTO was one of the best shooting bows I ever owned....

X2 !!! Say that.

Frankenbow Freak

Respected Member Ten Point Cajun Blake's Avatar

in my experience, the GTO was a 333 ~ 336 fps bow

bought and sold lots of Elites as I still own a Goat

Quote Originally Posted by bfoot View Post
    I am getting 284 fps with a 465 grain arrow, 29" draw, 70 lb limbs. That works out to 322 fps for a 29" draw so should be a few fps more for a 30" draw so with a 30" draw should be right at 330 actual with a d loop and meta peep and four nocks on each end.
    my Ninja GTO is 28.75" / 63 lbs , 385 gr arrow, and shooting 292 fps. .... = 335 IBO . This was BoCoMo's old bow and pretty sure it has Ranger strings (Justin Morgan)

bow is a pleasure to shoot , and hits like the Hammer of Thor

Quote Originally Posted by watsonjay View Post
    But elite edvertised them at 340-350 IBO...That would be 20fps off...I have heard of people getting ibo after crackers has tuned them. Was yours tuned by anyone in particular and if so how much was it? ... Thanks
    1/2" long modules , hot chronos, and a "speed freak" designer led to the published IBO

with that being said, don't believe everything you read as you have to take speed numbers with a grain of salt

Quote Originally Posted by cordini View Post
    www.raginblaze.com
    Cajun Seasoning with a SouthWest Flare

featured products ..... cajun seasoning, chili mix, fajita seasoning
    seafood boil, New Orleans style coffee and beignets .....

Senior Member Six Point evworld's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cajun Blake View Post
    in my experience, the GTO was a 333 ~ 336 fps bow

bought and sold lots of Elites as I still own a Goat

my Ninja GTO is 28.75" / 63 lbs , 385 gr arrow, and shooting 292 fps. .... = 335 IBO . This was BoCoMo's old bow and pretty sure it has Ranger strings (Justin Morgan)

bow is a pleasure to shoot , and hits like the Hammer of Thor

1/2" long modules , hot chronos, and a "speed freak" designer led to the published IBO

with that being said, don't believe everything you read as you have to take speed numbers with a grain of salt

Amen Brother!!!!!!!!

Respected Member Ten Point Stag 2xR's Avatar

Fastest goat I saw or heard of was a 60#'r at Terminal Velocity that I watched chrono through a beta blue at 343 with an IBO arrow at 30". The bow cam from Carter's with fresh strings and measured 30 1/16 DL and Carter got 341 on his chrono.

Great bow! Second only to the Envy, maybe!!!
    Change is Mandatory - Growth is Optional

Junior Member Fawn

Winning is simple; any 2011 bow purchased at full retail price and registered on the Elite Archery website by September 30th will be automatically entered to win. We’ll pick the winner at random from the serial numbers entered into our database on October 30th. If your bow is chosen, both you and your dealer will be on your way to Illinois next fall to hunt the giant whitetails at Illinois Whitetails.