Thread: Words Fail Me....

Respected Member Ten Point Stag eagle-357's Avatar

Default Words Fail Me....

News story you may or may not have heard about:

http://www.sunnewsnetwork.ca/sunnews...2/02/20120227-
    104012.html

A father arrested because his daughter drew a crayon gun in kindergarten....
    2012 Answer in hand!!!
    2011 Elite AP Hunter
    2010 Elite AP Judge & Elite AP Snow Z-28

The link didn't work on my phone. I'm guessing because of the link its in Canada? I guess they don't have something equivalent to the 2nd amendment. What's said is the family is going hungry because they threw the bread winner in jail for an art class picture.
    Mathews Switchback XT
    2009 Elite GT500

Here is the first article about it:

JESSIE SANSONE, 26, HOLDS HIS FOUR-YEAR-OLD DAUGHTER NEVAEH IN THIS UNDATED PHOTO. Credits: (Submitted/Sansone family)

KRIS SIMS | QMI AGENCY

Jesse Sansone's family is reeling after he was arrested, strip searched and detained by Waterloo Police all because his four year old daughter drew a picture of a man with a gun in her Kitchener kindergarten class. Little Neaveh's sketch was supposed to be her Daddy, getting the bad guys and monsters.

The teacher told the principal, the principal called Child and Family Services and they called police. The cops met Sansone at the school when he tried to pick up three of his children, told him he was charged with possession of a fire arm, handcuffed him and put him in one of the several squad cars waiting outside.

"When I was finally able to see my family, after this ordeal was over, my little girl ran up and gave me a hug me and asked: 'Daddy, are you mad at me?'" said Sansone, his voice choked. "How could she ever think that I would be mad at her? She knows this has to do with her drawing."

Sansone, 26, and his wife, Stephanie, have been together since they were 14 and 15 years old. They have four children, aged 10 years to 15 months, and Stephanie is five months pregnant with their fifth child.

"Years ago, being really young parents we were given the cold shoulder, like we didn't know how to raise our children, this feels like that again, because I felt totally alone in that cell," Sansone said. "We still can't believe this happened to us."

Sansone had a scrape with the law five years ago, but has since turned his life around, left Toronto for Kingston and has become a certified counsellor.

While Sansone was being strip-searched at the police station: told to disrobe, lift his testicles and bend over, his wife was home with their 15 month old daughter.

"They came to my house, told my wife that I had been charged with possession of firearms, that she would have to come with them, and that Sundae (their infant daughter) would have to go with the social worker," said Sansone. Stephanie managed to call her Mom who rushed over to take Sundae instead of the strangers. "My littlest is still in diapers with a bottle. Thank goodness my mother-in-law lives nearby."

Once Stephanie got to the police station she had to wait.

"The detective was giving my wife the idea that our children were at the police station with her, just in another room at the station. She was waiting for over an hour, close to two hours, not knowing where the kids were," Sansone says his children had been at Family and Children's Services the whole time, being interviewed by social workers. "So, my wife was really panicking at that point. So her and the detective drove down to Children's Services. They questioned each of my children."

Now, the family is trying their best to explain things to their kids.

"At that interview, I wasn't there, my wife wasn't there, but my boys, all they know right now is: 'Daddy and guns, guns and Daddy' - my kids knew all the police were at the school because of me. Now I have to explain to them how much of a mistake this is."

Sansone says the police eventually found a see-through plastic toy gun in his house, it costs about $15 at the store and shoots foam darts.

"So many people dealt with this situation in the wrong way," said Sansone. "I know the principal really well, how could he judge my character in this way? I drop off and pick the kids up every day, I always say hello, I sign every report card, I go to every parent teacher meeting, I am an active parent at that school."

The family is trying to decide what to do next, and they are finding a new school for their children to attend.
    2012 Answer in hand!!!
    2011 Elite AP Hunter

Here is the follow up article:

JESSIE SANSONE IS SEEN WITH HIS CHILDREN IN THIS UNDATED PHOTO.

KRIS SIMS | QMI AGENCY

KITCHENER, Ont. -- Some players in the Kitchener kindergarten gun-doodling fiasco are doing some soul-searching while others are missing in action, as school staff see themselves as "co-parents" to students in their institutions.

Waterloo Regional Police are going to do an internal investigation to see if they erred when they arrested 26-year-old Jessie Sansone.

"I couldn't confirm that mistakes were made as we will be doing an internal review to try and establish if they were," said Insp. Kevin Thaler. "What we were investigating was a drawing of a handgun at the school and subsequently through the investigation, the officers identified the weapon that was being drawn was, in fact, a replica toy gun in the residence."

Sansone, a father of four, was handcuffed at his children's elementary school, strip-searched and detained for hours while being told he was arrested for unlawful possession of a firearm.

His three eldest children were taken by social services, picked up at school and driven to the family services office and questioned.

His pregnant wife, Stephanie, was also hauled in and questioned, while their home was "walked through" by police.

All the result of four-year-old daughter Neveah drawing a picture in class of a man with a gun fighting monsters and bad guys.

The junior kindergarten teacher saw it, questioned Neveah about it, and feared there was a gun in the girl's home that the children were playing with. The school called social services, who in turn called the cops.

After going through the home, executing a warrant, police found a see-through plastic toy that fires plastic darts.

"We have seen these weapons, we have seen these 'items' out in our community, they have been altered and would appear to an adult to be a real firearm, and in these cases they were used to commit robberies, and in this case I am not surprised that a child had the belief that it was real," Thaler said.

The superintendent of Waterloo Regional School district said they are standing behind the teacher's judgment and they will not review their actions.

"We do work hand-in-hand with these families because we co-parent, so we hope that we could move forward," Gregg Bereznick said. "It's understood the stress that the family is going through.

"If a disclosure is made, it is our immediate duty under the regulations to phone family services."

A "disclosure" in this case was the drawing of the monster slayer and Neveah telling her teacher there was a gun like the one in the illustration in her house.

Family and Child Services was unavailable for comment on the situation that is making international news, so it's not known where the incriminating picture is or if they are reviewing their actions.

QMI Agency was told that executive director Allison Scott and her deputy were at a conference in Toronto.

Scott later responded by e-mail that they had followed the rules.

"We followed all policies and procedures as required and I would not have anything further to add to this," Scott wrote. "We are mandated under provincial legislation to respond to situations of child protection.

"If you would like to speak to our provincial association further about the provincial requirements you can call our Ontario Association of Children's Aid Societies."

QMI Agency will follow up Tuesday.

The family is considering their legal options and have contacted a lawyer.
    2012 Answer in hand!!!
    2011 Elite AP Hunter

Respected Member Ten Point Stag Grizz's Avatar

unbelievable

Respected Member Ten Point Stag HORSEMOVER's Avatar

WOW...crazy stuff. Was the baby's name really Sundae or did they cover up her name to protect her?
    RIP CENSY...IT WAS A HECK OF A RIDE BROTHER

I am the Brumby Whisperer

优秀射箭胜过炒猪肉大米

Respected Member Ten Point benel3006's Avatar

Have known for years that handguns are a big no no in Canada, but a childs drawing inspired by a toy gun is enough to get a search warrant. I thought we were getting enough "Big Brother" in the States, just shows we may not have it too bad in the US.

Quote Originally Posted by HORSEMOVER View Post
    WOW...crazy stuff. Was the baby's name really Sundae or did they cover up her name to protect her?
    As far as I can tell, that is their biggest failure as parents right there... Naming a child Sundae...

Owning and buying handguns in Canada is easier now than it has been in fifteen years.
    But in that same fifteen years, the liberal media has downplayed the owning and buying to the point where most people won't even get the course needed to purchase one.
    2012 Answer in hand!!!
    2011 Elite AP Hunter

Respected Member Ten Point Stag hartofthethumb's Avatar

This seems completely insane!!!!

What if she had drawn him slaying a dragon or something........ arrest for harming endangered animals?? Just crazy!
    Smile!

I guess no country has a monopoly on knee jerking morons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2014 Energy 35