Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Is rifle hunting kind of lame ?

Respected Member Ten Point eros's Avatar

We get together and one of us will babble on about a bow hunt and what happened.

But when it comes to turkeys I use a shot gun. Hope to take a spring turkey with a bow in the spring.
    Twin Oaks Archery Range VA
    2013 Nija Hunter
    2009 GT 500 Reverse AP
    2009 GT 500 Black and Carbon Fiber
    Home Brewer of fine Ale

Senior Member Eight Point Wideback's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cityhunter346 View Post
    My dad doesn't bow hunt, so rifle hunting gives me an opportunity to do some hunting with him. He and his friend come to my place for opening weekend of gun every year...it's a good time!
    I will second this. Every year i get more serious about bowhunting, but have have so many great memories gun hunting with my father. We have a lottery here in ND so you can go a few years without a tag depending on where you hunt.
    Elite E32 - Black 29/60
    Elite E35 - APS 29/60
    Hoyt F34 - RExtra 29/60

Senior Member Six Point Trigger69's Avatar

I've only ever shot two whitetail buck an two Muley bucks with my rifle, I think it's a blast! I've killed over thirty buck with my bow and also think that is awesome! PA is a one buck state so I normally am done by rifle season until I became more selective on the buck I shoot with my bow. If I have to take the rifle out for a buck, if it's legal it's dead! I ended up filling my "buck" tag in the late archery/flintlock season last year on a doe. I used my flintlock and that was the first deer I ever killed with it and I'd been trying for 7 years. I got just as excited about shooting that small doe with my flintlock as I did when I shot my largest archery buck, 138"! It's all in what you make of it! I enjoy hunting with what ever is legal at the time, I just enjoy being out in God's great outdoors!
    2011 PURE Max-1 (a.k.a Maxine)
    Predator Camo
    Vortex Binos

Respected Member Ten Point eros's Avatar

In PA is it still flintlocks? Here in VA you might as well call them rifles. A flintlock kill would be like a bow kill.
    Twin Oaks Archery Range VA
    2013 Nija Hunter
    2009 GT 500 Reverse AP
    2009 GT 500 Black and Carbon Fiber
    Home Brewer of fine Ale

Senior Member Four Point

Yep, after Christmas it is flintlock or archery only for bucks. You can use an inline in special regulated areas but for doe only. PA still has some die hard flintnockers. Always wanted to try it!

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk

Senior Member Eight Point Yichi's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cityhunter346 View Post
    My dad doesn't bow hunt, so rifle hunting gives me an opportunity to do some hunting with him.
    I gun hunt for this exact same reason. My dad has a bow and will bowhunt on rare occasions, but we don't have the time to hutn together as much anymore, but we always make it a point to make the Firearms opener together. Kind of a family tradition.
    Insert signature here...

The hunting part is always great but shooting guns is over for me. The smell, earplugs and the solvents to clean them just ruin it for me. After 40+ years, the fun has worn off. I was curious about black powder but the challenge in that seems to be getting it fire and stay clean. I can't get out that often due to work etc. so I want to make it count so it's archery for me. As always, y'all do as you please but this old guy is bored with guns.

For me, doing the same old same old gets boring. Switching it up with muzzle loading and rifle, also shotgun, has kept me from getting bored. I'm trying a new thing this year, and have to be close, similar to bow. I'm going out with my handgun. I know both my, and the gun capabilities. Just wanna try something new??? I tell ya what though, I love the recoil of my 300 weatherby, that, and the BOOM!!! Its all hunting, its all good!!!

Senior Member Eight Point 340axis's Avatar

Guns are just too easy!
    EAT, SLEEP, BOW HUNT!!!!!

Senior Member Four Point jdduffy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 340axis View Post
    Guns are just too easy!
    I do both,and it's really not that tuff putting an arrow through the lungs at 20 yards !!!