Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Shim kit question

Respected Member Ten Point Stag BlindBuck's Avatar

Agreed, especially with the spine charts and programs. Flat out nonsense I have no idea why they changed these, but it is probably one of the biggest culprits for not getting a bow to tune or achieve a correct CS.

Respected Member Ten Point Stag Daniel Boone's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Maybee-R View Post
    Dan Im going to let you in on secret. Every bow no matter what make I re shim with spacers. Have for years because I want more or just plane tinker to much.
    When you share this info on a forum after a while it becomes the norm for everyone to also want what they think is the perfect fix for what ever problem they may have.

Is it normal NO. is common No Do the new bows have to have shims NO. Did the older bows maybe a slight few possibly got out shimmed different then I would of but that doesnt mean they were wrong. Ill tell you flat out where the trouble starts with these bows...Arrow spine charts trying to make everyone shoot rebar for a hunting arrow.
    Ill also go so far to say a weak limb might of caused a problem or two. But the 09 bows was a combination of loose pockets from a limb change and was quickly corrected. Some of those bows are out there and needed extra attention and maybe still do.
    I would feel confident telling anyone that with the new pocket designs and elite knowing more about those issues no one will need to shim a new 2012 bow. Unless its guys like me wanting to tinker.

I dont like to tinker with a bow. I want to tune it and go shoot. Dont want to wait for a shim kit to my door. Thats the answer I want to tell others is limbs are better than ever and tolerances are tight on the new bows and it very rare you would need to shim one of Elite new bows. Because even myself would not want to have to shim kit another bow.
    Thanks
    DB
    OK-Archery DST 40, 09 Elite Z28, Vortex binos 15X50 Vipers , Carter releases, Trophy Taker rests, Vapor Trail strings, Custom Bow Equipment sights, Goldtip arrows. B Stinger Stabilizers. Slick Tricks

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Boone View Post
    I dont like to tinker with a bow. I want to tune it and go shoot. Dont want to wait for a shim kit to my door. Thats the answer I want to tell others is limbs are better than ever and tolerances are tight on the new bows and it very rare you would need to shim one of Elite new bows. Because even myself would not want to have to shim kit another bow.
    Thanks
    DB
    I know why your asking this question. If you were asked straight out I would tell them.
    But that thread on AT is crazy with too many wanting to belittle Elite in it.
    I meant it when I said Id help that guy so if he doesnt get it going let me know. Wont cost him a dime other then shipping.
    No ifs and or buts Just maybee.

I know why your asking this question. If you were asked straight out I would tell them.
    But that thread on AT is crazy with too many wanting to belittle Elite in it.
    I meant it when I said Id help that guy so if he doesnt get it going let me know. Wont cost him a dime other then shipping.
    That thread giving some good advise. Maybe some here would never post I needed a shim kit for my new answer but there they did. Elite not perfect and some bows have a few flaws and members/newbies here need to understand it ok to come here and ask the diffiacult questions and members need to help and stop being so defensive. Ryan whole point was not the cost of shim kit. It was you shouldnt have to shim a bow to get it right.
    DB
    OK-Archery DST 40, 09 Elite Z28, Vortex binos 15X50 Vipers , Carter releases, Trophy Taker rests, Vapor Trail strings, Custom Bow Equipment sights, Goldtip arrows. B Stinger Stabilizers. Slick Tricks

Senior Member Eight Point ohio mossy oak's Avatar

That thread giving some good advise. Maybe some here would never post I needed a shim kit for my new answer but there they did. Elite not perfect and some bows have a few flaws and members/newbies here need to understand it ok to come here and ask the diffiacult questions and members need to help and stop being so defensive. Ryan whole point was not the cost of shim kit. It was you shouldnt have to shim a bow to get it right.
    DB
    As I stated on AT..Ryan may have wanted to try a stiffer spine to get this bheads to tune.He mentioned he was having issue with that prior to needing shims(if that was the issue)..Maybe this and the shims(or not the shims) would have fixed the issue..a 65LB XLR at 31in DL an a 400 spine with 100grain up front seems like it would create some issues...But im just joe bow an not a expert like some
    First it's pretty tires, then it's pretty guns and bows....Next thing you know, you're shavin' your beard and wearin' capri pants

Quote Originally Posted by ohio mossy oak View Post
    As I stated on AT..Ryan may have wanted to try a stiffer spine to get this bheads to tune.He mentioned he was having issue with that prior to needing shims(if that was the issue)..Maybe this and the shims(or not the shims) would have fixed the issue..a 65LB XLR at 31in DL an a 400 spine with 100grain up front seems like it would create some issues...But im just joe bow an not a expert like some

Sounds like he got it fixed.. Thats all that matters.
    DB

Senior Member Eight Point ohio mossy oak's Avatar

Sounds like he got it fixed.. Thats all that matters.
    DB
    Looks like he got a damm nice buck with it ta boot...
    First it's pretty tires, then it's pretty guns and bows....Next thing you know, you're shavin' your beard and wearin' capri pants

DB
    Yes they shouldnt be so hard on someone asking for help. same as those being hard on members because they get tiered of the same questions being asked over and over.
    Its the internet right! Didnt see anyone with Answers being shimmed might take another look over there. But it wont do any good to offer help to someone who doesnt want it either. (Generalized statement and not directed at anyone)
    No ifs and or buts Just maybee.

Quote Originally Posted by ohio mossy oak View Post
    Looks like he got a damm nice buck with it ta boot...
    Youngman a good hunter and sportsmen. Kid was a heck of shooter in tournament archery for no longer than he shot. Im glad he likes his Elite and got it solved.
    DB

Senior Member Four Point

Yes they shouldnt be so hard on someone asking for help. same as those being hard on members because they get tiered of the same questions being asked over and over.
    Its the internet right! Didnt see anyone with Answers being shimmed might take another look over there. But it wont do any good to offer help to someone who doesnt want it either. (Generalized statement and not directed at anyone)
    Youre a good resource to have! I've lost count of how many times you're posts have helped me over the years. I should get you a xmas gift-but I'm broke (it's the thought that counts right?).
    08.5 GT500
    09 Z28