Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Whats the best BOOK you've ever read?

Respected Member Ten Point Stag rembrandt's Avatar

Here is a start of BRULES....

In 1916, civil engineering student Steven Cartwright plays hooky from his father's fall cattle drive to visit Cat Brules, a mysterious Colorado mountain man rumored to be a thief and a murderer. The friendship between the boy and this relic of the rapidly disappearing frontier provides a frame for this fluid first novel, as Brules tells Steven the story of his life over a series of nights around the campfire. After a drive down the Chisholm Trail in 1867, Brules killed his trail boss in a fight over a Hays City, Kans., prostitute named Michelle. Fleeing town, the pair were captured by Comanches; Brules escaped, but Michelle was tortured and killed, setting her lover on a one-man vendetta against the Indians. Brules gradually overcomes his hatred, eventually marrying a Native American. The author, an aviation pioneer who wrote a nonfiction study of the Wright Brothers, Kill Devil Hill , clearly knows and loves the land and history of the American West. References to numerous actual people and events (Butch Cassidy, General Crook, the Fetterman massacre) add verisimilitude to his story. Although overly long and tending to drag in spots, this expansive novel will remind some readers of Larry McMurtry's Lonesome Dove .
    Copyright 1992 Reed Business Information, Inc. --This text refers to an out of print or unavailable edition of this title.

From Library Journal

Cat Brules takes up his story in 1867 as a young hellraiser just off a cattle drive to Hays City, Kansas. He kills a man in a bordello and flees through Comanche country. Captured and tortured, he escapes, later losing his best friend to the Comanche. From there, the story is mainly about Brules's prowess as a killer of Indians, but in between the cold-blooded carnage he ably describes the almost mystical attraction of the glorious Western wilderness from Texas to Montana. He sees the demise of the buffalo herds, destruction of the Plains Indians' way of life, and the gradual introduction of civilization. A violent, brutal but well-written view of Western history. Combs, an aviator since 1928, is author of Kill Devil Hill (TernStyle, 1989).
    --Edwin B. Burgess, U.S. Army TRALINET Ctr., Fort Monroe, Va.
    Copyright 1994 Reed Business Information, Inc. --This text refers to an out of print or unavailable edition of this title.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Brules-Harry-Combs/dp/product-description/0440217288/ref=dp_proddesc_0?ie=UTF8&n=283155&s=books"]See all Editorial Reviews[/ame]
    Product Details
    Life is too short to live without a Quigley 45-70
    www.broughtonart.webs.com
    Sebastion Flute w/ Kaya limbs
    Bear Kodiak Hunter
    Athens Afflixtion

Respected Member Ten Point Stag vhunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hartofthethumb View Post
    My "favorite" book is probably "The Chocolate War". It is one aimed at teens, and one I read and loved in junior high. It sure isn't the "best" book I have ever read, but it will always be my favorite just because it was the first book that made me realize how enjoyable a good read could be, and one I seriously liked at the time.

I liked it so well, that the next book I picked up was by the same author, titled "I am the Cheese". This was another I loved at the time, along with a couple more of the books by Robert Cormier(sp?), "The Bumblebee Flies Anyway" and "After the First Death".

Now in more recent times, sadly I have not read nearly as much as I'd like too. One somewhat recent read I enjoyed was "One Second After". I don't recall the author, but it was basically a ficticious depiction of what "could happen" and the troubles that could fall on us at a moments notice, but leave lasting problems and basically lead to the collapse of society. Interesting read for sure.
    You might like Earth abides then. Similar concept.
    -- that from these honored dead we take increased devotion to that cause for which they gave the last full measure of devotion -- that we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain -- that this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom -- and that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth.

Now my H H Lomax review is gone.........What tha!
    Bear Kodiak Hunter
    Athens Afflixtion

I still say the Harry Combs book "Brules" is a must read......Its one of those books you can't put down. I enjoyed it more than "Lonesome Dove". They should make a series out of this book. Cat Brules is what they call a "shootest". He declares war on the Comanches and by himself he is one **** of a fighter. I loved the book and I guarantee you will to...You can get it off Amazon and the other two fo the trilogy for a couple bucks each plus shipping. You will come back and thank me!
    Bear Kodiak Hunter
    Athens Afflixtion

Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance Robert Pirsig
    Ghost Rider by Neil Peart

Senior Member Eight Point COWBOY's Avatar

The Screwtape letters. by C.S. Lewis
    In loveing memory
    ERIN KATHRINE HURR
    " NOODLE"
    12/09/00--3/23/10

Erin's Hope Project inc
    Our Mission:
    Through kindness and compassion, giving hope to children with life-threatening illnesses!

BELIEVE

Quote Originally Posted by COWBOY View Post
    The Screwtape letters. by C.S. Lewis
    Your alias suggests you would love the "Brules" trilogy!
    Bear Kodiak Hunter
    Athens Afflixtion

Under and Alone by William Queen

Sent from my VS910 4G using Tapatalk
    2010 Elite GT500

Respected Member Ten Point Stag Grizz's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rembrandt View Post
    Your alias suggests you would love the "Brules" trilogy!
    Or he may work on a ranch or ride horses.

I love this book. I read it while I was deployed several years ago and just bought it again to read this week.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lord_Grizzly
    If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting!!!!