Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Sight bubbles, are they really level..............

Senior Member Eight Point cmillett79's Avatar

Default Sight bubbles, are they really level..............

A few of my sights Ive used in the past, Ive noticed that I hace to slightly cant my bow to the right or left to get the bubble level . I thought it was just me and and just the landscape back ground messing with my . I also noticed on one of my vert. sights (yes proper spined arrows) that my higher yardage pins would be off by a few inches left or right after walk back tuning . So after all of that observing this over the last few yrs ,I have since put my bows in the bow vice to level out the string straight up and down and to the sides . Next I the would adjust the bubble housing on the sight ( most are adjustable that I have used ) .. Since then I have had no long range issues with windage and walk back tuning ... Just thought Id share my exp........
    Elite Dealer Sports Center ​Vicksburg , MS 601-638-4262

Senior Member Forked Horn rodney482's Avatar

Using a sights 3 axis's and a bow vise and level is exactly how I set up a bow.

but there is also alot written on setting your sights axis at fulldraw.

You are spot on, its at distance a little cant will really show up..

Respected Member Ten Point Stag Z-Rider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rodney482 View Post
    Using a sights 3 axis's and a bow vise and level is exactly how I set up a bow.

but there is also alot written on setting your sights axis at fulldraw.

You are spot on, its at distance a little cant will really show up..
    I have had people argue with me that this technique will not work. Then I actually showed them just how far off their sights were after using a sight leveling device then bolting it on there bow. Sometimes you just have to show people to make them believe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2014 Elite Enervy 35 - RealTree Xtra
    2014 Elite Energy 32 - RealTree Xtra

Thats for sure Z-Rider ,, just like the "pro" shop in my area says that broadheads and field points cant tune together nor do they need draw boards for their mathews bows .

And thinking of it I will name the "pro" shop ,, Its Delta Out Fitters in Vicksburg MS

Senior Member Four Point

That's the beauty of having a 3rd axis adjustment on the sight housing.

Knowing how to tune your bow and doing it yourself are also pluses. Most pro shop will spend about 45 - 60 minutes to set up and tune your bow. Those that set up and tune their own bow(s) know that this is just a starting point. Fine tuning any bow requires lots of time to shoot-press-tweak, ............................, shoot-press-tweak. To have a bow fully tuned requires lots of time and I don't blame the shop as time is money. On the other hand, most shops are only as good as the tech. that works on the bow.

Respected Member Ten Point mfr22@msn.com's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mongopino915 View Post
    That's the beauty of having a 3rd axis adjustment on the sight housing.

Knowing how to tune your bow and doing it yourself are also pluses. Most pro shop will spend about 45 - 60 minutes to set up and tune your bow. Those that set up and tune their own bow(s) know that this is just a starting point. Fine tuning any bow requires lots of time to shoot-press-tweak, ............................, shoot-press-tweak. To have a bow fully tuned requires lots of time and I don't blame the shop as time is money. On the other hand, most shops are only as good as the tech. that works on the bow.
    I agree and disagree with this. Most bows are very easy to setup and tune, if the tech knows what he is doing and has the right equiptment. 3 out of 5 of my Elites were tuned by a pro, with new strings installed in less then 15 minutes and shot perfect. Some bows can be a pain, but I have only had 1 that took me more then 45 minutes to setup and tune, an I am no pro. Most problems are created when one tinkers and does not keep proper notes on exactly where they started and what they have done.
    2008.5 XLR
    2010 Z28
    2011 Pure
    2011 Tour

Banned Stag

Its 2nd axis that this thread is about, 3rd axis, can effect this slightly but is really for up/downhill shots.

Senior Member Eight Point Pulse76's Avatar

So, what do you do if your 2nd axis is off? My sights are third axis adjustable, but I too have noticed if I follow the level bubble at 40-50 yds, I am off a few inches. That's shooting on level ground. If I hold the bow where it feels natural, I am right on, but the level bubble says I'm off. Guess I don't need the bubble, but it would be nice for consistency.
    2011 Pulse, AT/AP, 29.5"/72lbs
    HHA DS-5519, QAD HDX, Stokerized 10" Hunter
    GT Velocity XT arrows , G5 Magloc Compact Quiver

Senior Member Six Point Brown Hornet's Avatar

Yep bubbles are only good after you level the sight. The only sights I have ever shot that were on or darn close to being on are CBEs. They still may need to be adjusted slightly.