Thread: first ever tune , numbers check on pure

Junior Member Fawn

Default first ever tune , numbers check on pure

hi fella's
    well , just built the draw board and did my first initial tune on my 2012 pure (60lb 29")
    I want to run these figures past you to check if i'm in the ball park. I think i'm close but would like to lift draw weight a few lbs as it seeems low.
    So , firstly i spec'd the strings and cables , and they were close to perfect. the string needed a couple of twists.
    on to the draw board , draw stops set all the way out (for max allowable cam rotation)

* cam's in perfect sync after string spec so no need to change anything there.
    * draw length measured at 29.3"
    * brace 6.93"
    * A2A 35.885"
    * peak weight at 6.635" (scale on draw board suggests 59.4 lbs but 2 other bow scales say 55lb max)

what should i twist/untwist from here to get the gains in weight??
    cheers
    graham

Respected Member Ten Point Stag wassaw's Avatar

if it were mine i would start with 2 in each cable and 1 in the string. then re-check the above (my gut tells me it will take the same again 2/cables-1/string. then it will/should be around 62-63lb and your other specs staying close to as they are.)
    Abstracted Member of the TEXAS BOYS

Respected Member Ten Point mfr22@msn.com's Avatar

What he said ^.....
    2008.5 XLR
    2010 Z28
    2011 Pure
    2011 Tour

Junior Member Fawn

just received this pm

Hey just wanted to say put the twist into the cables but putting twists into the string will actually lower the weight so take 2 out of the string and put t2 into the cables this will keep your axle to axle the same but also increase the weight

I haven't touched a thing just incase anyone disagreed with above posts which has happened. judging by the adjustments table in the tech manual , the pm is correct

Junior Member Fawn

just as a side point , I can understand adding the same twists in both cables will increase preload on limbs and raise poundage ,
    do you then use twists in the string alone , to bring the other specs in. (dl and peak weight)
    cheers

Junior Member Fawn

ok
    went ahead and did both steps above. ended up putting 4 full twists into cables and 2 into string
    new figures are

DL 29.38
    DW 61.6lb at 6.2" dropping to 8lb at full draw
    brace is dead on 7 "
    A to A is 35.77

anything concerning about those numbers to you?

Respected Member Ten Point Stag jjbuilder's Avatar

That sounds like exactly what Steve (wassaw) suggested

If you want you could move the stops in to increase holding weight.I seem to have aiming issues when holding weight goes below 14.
    Mathews Switchback XT
    2009 Elite GT500

or he could add another twist(s) in the string and he would have less valley / letoff and get the DL closer to 29". It seems his holding weight is too low...at ~61lbs, 80% should be more like 12 lbs - not 8lbs. I always like the stops to hit just before the module/cam stops hit the cables so the rubber on the stop compress a bit and then BAM...solid. I don't like to move my stops forward to hit too far prior to the cam stops.
    Team Viscosity
    I use archery stuff

Quote Originally Posted by notbulbous View Post
    or he could add another twist(s) in the string and he would have less valley / letoff and get the DL closer to 29". It seems his holding weight is too low...at ~61lbs, 80% should be more like 12 lbs - not 8lbs. I always like the stops to hit just before the module/cam stops hit the cables so the rubber on the stop compress a bit and then BAM...solid. I don't like to move my stops forward to hit too far prior to the cam stops.
    Agree with this for the most part. Only thing I'll add is that most Pures I've tuned run a little long when everything is tuned just right. Usually 1/4-3/8" is what I've found to be the norm. I ended up swapping to a 28.5" mod on mine to get the dl and let off where I wanted them.