Thread: First time shooting with a lens last night

Respected Member Ten Point Stag eltaco's Avatar

Default First time shooting with a lens last night

I've been working on setting up a target bow and finally got everything together a few days ago. I came across a scope housing with a 4x and 6x lens on AT and bolted it onto my Ascent for a poor-man's starter target rig. I'm currently setup with a Stokerized Nucleus and Limbdriver and can see this being a good setup to get me going!

It may take some getting used to, but man was it fun!

I'm going to have some questions for you target fellers on arrow selection (micro-diameter hunting arrows are probably not optimal) and whether you use a pin-up setup or dots on your lenses. Currently my housing is blank as are 2 of my 3 lenses. The seller sent me a scratched up 4x lens with an adhesive dot for free and that's what I was shooting. I can see where the dot could be good for 20yd indoor, maybe not so much for 3D.

Senior Member Six Point JHENS87's Avatar

which ascent are you using? kind of hoping theres a fairly easy way to mount a scope setup onto my ascent, but its not the target model
    12 Answer w. 13 cams
    13 PSE Phenom

Respected Member Ten Point Stag eltaco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JHENS87 View Post
    which ascent are you using? kind of hoping theres a fairly easy way to mount a scope setup onto my ascent, but its not the target model
    You can use any Ascent, just have to call and order the dovetail windage block which has a 10/32 drill hole. Cost was about $20.

Respected Member Ten Point Randy D's Avatar

I would suggest going with an up pin with a blue fiber. The blue will contrast any 3D target. Most of the other colors CAN have issues with certain lighting situations.
    Arrows...well there are just so many to choose from. I'm a fan of Gold Tip but there are other good brands as well. If you choose GT's take a look at the 22's or the X Cutters.
    Good luck with the target set-up. It's a lot of fun!
    08 GTO Ninja
    08.5 XLR Snow Camo A/T (currently)
    Hoyt Gamemaster
    Mathews Rival Pro
    New Breed Horizon
    New Breed Eclipse

"Don't out smart your common sense"

Respected Member Ten Point Perry24's Avatar

I was thinking about trying this Gunstar product on a lense, but got a great deal on a MBG Vengeance 5-pin so I am going to try that.

http://www.lancasterarchery.com/guns...ens-decal.html
    Hoyt Spyder 34
    LimbDriver Pro, MBG Ascent single pin, BE Carnivore 340