Thread: gt500 shims

Default gt500 shims

When I first got my 2008.5 GT500 there were some cam shims available to help with the center shot. After a couple of years of trying to achieve a perfect tune i have come to the conclusion I need to give the shims a try. I have emailed elite customer service and have not heard back from them..

Can anyone help me locate these shims??

Thank you

U can buy them directly from elite on their website look under parts
    2013 Tour 2013 Answer 2010 XLR Bowdoc Archery staff shooter Black Eagle staff shooter

Senior Member Forked Horn cleggy's Avatar

I have a bunch of leftovers from shimming my GT500 you can have. Shoot me a PM....

Thanks guys.

cleggy PM sent

Respected Member Ten Point bfoot's Avatar

Here is some information on spacers on the GT50 from an old post:

I purchased a "problem" GT 500 off of a friend a few days ago and followed marzomi's advice: I contacted Elite and requested the shim kit and inserted 2 .045 shims on the left side and 1 .035 shim on the right side. The bow is now shooting as good as my Fury X tuned GT 500 (just not as fast); my buddy wants to buy it back now. The CS is 7/8" and BH and Field points are grouping together at 50yds and it shoots bullet holes thru paper with Maxima 350's and Victory V Force HV1 .300's. This was the solution for this "problem" GT 500. Thanks for sharing.

Here is the original post: http://www.elitearchery.com/forums/s...ht=GTO+spacers

There are six pages of information about getting the center shot correct on the GT500 and Kevin Strother himself makes several comments on spacer size and other pertinent information.
    15 Elites - 1 GTO, 3 E-500s, 1 Synergy, 2 SynXTs, 4 Envys, a 2008.5 Z28, 2 2008.5 GT500, a Aigil, Impulse
    2 K&K Vengeance , 2011 PSE Axe 6, 2011 Hoyt Carbon Element, Four Tributes and one Allegiance

Frankenbow Freak

Thanks for posting that Bfoot

Senior Member Forked Horn cleggy's Avatar

Shims on their way....

Quote Originally Posted by bfoot View Post
    Here is some information on spacers on the GT50 from an old post:
    I purchased a "problem" GT 500 off of a friend a few days ago and followed marzomi's advice: I contacted Elite and requested the shim kit and inserted 2 .045 shims on the left side and 1 .035 shim on the right side. The bow is now shooting as good as my Fury X tuned GT 500 (just not as fast); my buddy wants to buy it back now. The CS is 7/8" and BH and Field points are grouping together at 50yds and it shoots bullet holes thru paper with Maxima 350's and Victory V Force HV1 .300's. This was the solution for this "problem" GT 500. Thanks for sharing.

Here is the original post: http://www.elitearchery.com/forums/s...ht=GTO+spacers

There are six pages of information about getting the center shot correct on the GT500 and Kevin Strother himself makes several comments on spacer size and other pertinent information.
    You cant make .045 on one side work with .035 on the other. you will have way too much slop in the cams.

Here is a quote from Kevin that explains it best.

There is not an exact spacer that will fit every Elite to make sure the load is equal on each limb tip.

For 80% of the bows a .075-.080 should be on the string side of cam and a .035-.040 on the cable side of cam.
    The limbs tip strength can vary from limb to limb so the spacer thickness have to be adjusted on some bows to .090 on string side with a .025-.030 on the cable side.

If you line up the string through the center of the grip bed then look at the alignment of the string to the cam if you see any real "cam lean" which is really limb tip twist, and 99% of the time the top of the top cam will "lean" to the left(RH bow), then you just need to shift the cam toward the cable rod by .010-.020 depending on that set of limbs.
    The best way to check is with a laser from cam to cam.

If the limb twist is excessive just have Elite send you some spacers, if it is possible for you to measure the ones you have then it's easier to determine which ones you need.

Sorry for the long post!

But None of this aplys to the 2011-12 bows. they are different.
    No ifs and or buts Just maybee.

Respected Member Ten Point bfoot's Avatar

Maybee-R, re-read the quote, he used two .045 spacers one the left side, not one. You are correct though, one .045 would leave too much slop.

Another way to check if you do not have a laser is to put the bow in a vice and put a string level on the bow's string, making it level, then get a small torpedo level and place against the cam. Both should read level if the cam is not tilting. Or, if you have a long level put it against the limbs at the pockets and level the bow and hold a small level against the cam and see if both read level.
    Cam lean, as Maybee-R pointed out, is a misnomer, it is limb twist due to the sideways pull on the cables by the cable slide to allow vane clearance. All bows have it to some degree and often (if not excessive) it is not a problem. I actulaly learned this from reading some of Maybee-R's old posts (man that dude has been around a long time).
    Last edited by bfoot; 03-17-2012 at 01:26 AM.
    15 Elites - 1 GTO, 3 E-500s, 1 Synergy, 2 SynXTs, 4 Envys, a 2008.5 Z28, 2 2008.5 GT500, a Aigil, Impulse
    2 K&K Vengeance , 2011 PSE Axe 6, 2011 Hoyt Carbon Element, Four Tributes and one Allegiance

Frankenbow Freak

Yes I missed the number 2.
    No ifs and or buts Just maybee.