Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: compound competition questions

Junior Member Fawn

Default compound competition questions

Hey guys! I am new here but hoping some more knowledgeable in the subject will help me out. Here is my issues. I used to shoot a lot as a younger adult until about my senior year in highschool when I began taking night classes at college. I then went to a university which consumed all of my time so I didnt get much time to shoot.

I recently graduated and want to get back into competition shooting. My problem is I love shooting recurves but competition rules do not allow release aids. While in college I developed a condition known as Psoriaic arthritis. It mainly effects the first joint of my fingers. This means drawing with my fingers causes lots of pain and problems. Therefore it is looking like I am going to have to get into compound competitions.

I was wondering can anyone give me some info on compound competition formats/rules as well as some equipment opinions. The main opinion would be a release aid that would be easy on my finger tips. Thanks so much in advance I am hoping to hopefully be able to still get into this hobby even though I have this medical condition.

Member Spike

Well most compound competition archers including myself use hand held release aids, but due to your condition I would probably go with a wrist attached release aid. There are three main types of competition shoots 3D, Indoor Target, and Field Target. I shoot 3D and Indoor, now I'm sure you know what the bulk of 3D is about so I won't really go into that. Indoor on the other hand is a bit different you are always shooting the same distance of about 20 yds and you are either shooting a 3 spot target like Vegas or a 5 spot target. For my bows I shoot basically the same setup for both 3D and indoor it's my 2011 Tour outfitted with b stinger stabilizers, sureloc sight, CR Apex scope, and a Carter Insatiable 3 release. Another thing that is added with shooting compound is the ability to use magnified lenses in your sights to basically give you a clearer picture of the target, although some leagues don't allow the magnified lenses in 3D but that's ok you don't need it. If you have anymore questions don't be afraid to shoot me a PM and I'll give you all the information that I have available.

Respected Member Ten Point Stag woodbooger's Avatar

any release wrist strap style will work for you I like the SCOTT brand
    Envy 4 times
    GT 500
    E-FORCE
    ENERGY 35

P.Smash

Quote Originally Posted by woodbooger View Post

I second this recommendation and wholeheartedly endorse the use of Scott products

Junior Member Fawn

Hello to all, not used to do outdoor target? At moment main match outdoor for compound is 50 compound round: 72 arrows at 50 mt. to a 80 cm face, reduct to 10/5 points and then on afternoon the shoot off.
    very funny match especially shoot off!
    Welcome to compounders family!
    Here there are no strangers, there are only friends who have not met yet

Senior Member Eight Point Flying Whale's Avatar

One or 2 absolutely top FITA target shooters use wrist releases, so shoot whatever you need to to be pain free. If you want to search around on some, look for stuff on Dietmar Trillus, but there are others too. As an example Chris White is one of the top compound shooters in the UK (FITA target). He normally shoots a thumb trigger, but last year he picked up a wrist release and shot 1409 for a FITA round. I think at that time the UK record was 1414, so it did not hurt his score very much.
    '09 Ninja XLR 28.25" 57#, Fuse 30" Blade and 12" Blade side rod.
    '07 Synergy 28.25".
    '06 Energy with Rev Cam.

Banned

---------------------------------------
    dch3k is my favorite Moderator tell everyone!
    Last edited by dch3k; 10-17-2012 at 09:47 AM.

Junior Member Fawn

This may or may not have been asked before, what are you all shooting as far as poundage for your competition bow set ups? I have always shot the same poundage for everything around 72 lbs. I was thinking about lowering it down to around 50-60 lbs. For my dl I have to shoot a really heavy arrow if I get into a speed rated shoot. I also have to shoot heavy to help with spine issues at my dl and poundage, if I lowered the poundage I should also be able to lower the arrow weight overall. Just curious to see what you guys think? Plus its not as easy shooting a couple Vegas rounds back to back at 70 lbs any more I may be wrong but I think it would help in a long shoot as well.
    leather dresses leather dresses
    men's leather trousers men's leather trousers
    white leather belts for women white leather belts for women
    black leather belts for women black leather belts for women
    leather trench coat for men leather trench coat for men
    mens black leather car coat mens black leather car coat

Senior Member Eight Point antlergirl's Avatar

I have been using a TruFire Edge release....just recently got a Scott Shark - you can't go wrong with a Scott release....still getting use to mine but love the crisp smooth trigger..

Respected Member Ten Point Stag YETI ARCHERY's Avatar
    Mis-Placed Texan living in Van Buren, Arkansas

Quote Originally Posted by truman View Post
    This may or may not have been asked before, what are you all shooting as far as poundage for your competition bow set ups? I have always shot the same poundage for everything around 72 lbs. I was thinking about lowering it down to around 50-60 lbs. For my dl I have to shoot a really heavy arrow if I get into a speed rated shoot. I also have to shoot heavy to help with spine issues at my dl and poundage, if I lowered the poundage I should also be able to lower the arrow weight overall. Just curious to see what you guys think? Plus its not as easy shooting a couple Vegas rounds back to back at 70 lbs any more I may be wrong but I think it would help in a long shoot as well.
    Kinda sounds like you and I have the same problem. My dl is 33" so I am looking at lowering my poundage to around 50lbs.

YETI ARCHERY

CUSTOM GRIPS AND SIDE PLATES
    "If you can dream it, I can build it."