Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: I just spoke to Elite about BCY 8190 and was told by Technical Support that

Hybrid View

Senior Member Forked Horn The Elitest's Avatar

Default I just spoke to Elite about BCY 8190 and was told by Technical Support that

Elite is still testing but if i used 26 strands of BCY 2690 that it WILL NOT void the warranty.... So i am going to order my strings
    I AM ALL JACKED UP ON MT. DEW !!!!

Respected Member Ten Point Twisted Archer's Avatar
    Colorado Pimping the Archery world one bow at a time.

I emailed back and forth with JKK over the weekend and he did say that they will be adding some new materials to list that will not void the warranty, he told me he would get back to me with strand counts for the materials so I know what will be allowed. He wanted to be sure of the counts with the 2X/Mini/Halo .014 serving first but told me he would let me know, all I can say is I am looking forward to his email.
    Twisted Archer Custom Bowstrings-Owner
    9 Envy's, 2 SBH Energy's (1 Updated K8's & 1 Rev'd)
    IN MEMORY OF MELISSA LOPEZ, WE LOVE AND TRULY MISS YOU.

Senior Member Forked Horn The Elitest's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Twisted Archer View Post
    I emailed back and forth with JKK over the weekend and he did say that they will be adding some new materials to list that will not void the warranty, he told me he would get back to me with strand counts for the materials so I know what will be allowed. He wanted to be sure of the counts with the 2X/Mini/Halo .014 serving first but told me he would let me know, all I can say is I am looking forward to his email.
    Tech support said 26 strands so i guess they would know correct ????
    I AM ALL JACKED UP ON MT. DEW !!!!

Respected Member Ten Point Stag BlindBuck's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Elitest View Post
    If they did then I wouldn't expect to see much of a benefit. Adding back the weight and making it the same diameter so it doesn't fit the cam track any better. Hoping Jamie or Ben chimes in on this since they would know much better than myself.

Respected Member Ten Point Perry24's Avatar

If the diameter has to be the same and that negates 8190's advantage over 452X, then what is the point of using 8190? I haven't had issues with peep rotation or "fuzzing" with 452X which is one of the other advantages of 8190. I will say I am an archery novice, so I don't have the experience others my have. I guess what I am trying to find out is if the two materials should have the same finished diameter and that makes the speeds and weight comparable, what is the advantage of 8190 over 452X?
    Hoyt Spyder 34, LimbDriver Pro V, MBG Ascent single pin, BE Carnivore 350
    Elite E35, QAD HDX, Axcell Armortech, BE Carnivore

Quote Originally Posted by Perry24 View Post
    If the diameter has to be the same and that negates 8190's advantage over 452X, then what is the point of using 8190? I haven't had issues with peep rotation or "fuzzing" with 452X which is one of the other advantages of 8190. I will say I am an archery novice, so I don't have the experience others my have. I guess what I am trying to find out is if the two materials should have the same finished diameter and that makes the speeds and weight comparable, what is the advantage of 8190 over 452X?

8190 shouldn't fuzz up like 452X so there's a little plus but I haven't done any testing yet so I don't have any other info to pass on but if diameter has to stay the same I don't see any real advantages from what I have been told by other string maker buddies. JKK told me he didn't see any advantages speed wise either with the other materials when everything was equal, I guess since Elite is the only one with the transferable warranty they get to make the strand count rules if you still want to be able to have your warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by The Elitest View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BlindBuck View Post
    If they did then I wouldn't expect to see much of a benefit. Adding back the weight and making it the same diameter so it doesn't fit the cam track any better. Hoping Jamie or Ben chimes in on this since they would know much better than myself.
    I was told on the 8190 that it had to be 26 strands so yes BlindBuck it won't make much of a difference speed wise, they want the same diameter from what I was told. I am waiting to hear what other materials are given the go ahead and the strand counts, since I don't stock Brownell the rest of the materials won't be much help to me but I will still let everyone know as soon as I do.

Senior Member Forked Horn

Looking forward to getting a straight answer. Because I am really wanting to order a custom set of strings.

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2
    Strothers Wrath
    QAD HDX
    HHA OL-5519
    B-Stinger Extreme
    GT 55/75
    Taz 8190 Strings
    Paradox Sling

Senior Member Eight Point Pulse76's Avatar

Just playing devil's advocate here. How would they know if you ever had the bcy8190 strings on your bow? Not condoning this, but one could run 8190 strings on their bow for a couple of years and then put the stock ones back on and sell the bow that way. How would they ever know the difference? Maybe I just think too much.

Senior Member Forked Horn DssBB's Avatar

If you were to measure the served bundle of 24 stand 452X and 24 stand 8190 there would only be about .005" in diameter difference. The 24 stand bundle of 452X served with .014" Halo is approx .110" dia and 24 stands of 8190 served with the same .014" Halo would be .105" dia. That size could also slightly increase or decrease depending on how tight the bundle was served. The 8190 is rock solid material and as Breathin mentioned, 24 stands holds like a rock.
    In all reality, a good set of strings regardless of being made from 24 stand 8190 or 26 strand 8190 comes down to who and how they were made.

The following is right off BCY's website.

Question: If I reduce the number of strands to improve arrow speed, should I be concerned that the strength of the bow string is reduced and therefore dangerous?
    Answer: With almost all modern materials used in the manufacture of bowstrings, the strength is well in excess of the maximum tension applied to the string. Consider this - A popular number of strands for Formula 8125 material is 18. The breaking strength of a single strand of Formula 8125 exceeds 90 lbs. Using 90 lbs as the criteria; the total strength of 18 strands is over 1600 lbs. Of course when set up on a bow, the strands are split at the loops and a static load test shows that approximately 40% of the strength is lost at this point. This still leaves a breaking strength of close to 1000 lbs.

It has been calculated that on a high poundage bow, say 75 - 80 lbs, it is possible to generate approximately 200 lbs total tension while drawing. Compare this to the breaking strength over 1000 lbs mentioned above and there is at least a 5 - 1 safety factor.

Reducing the number of strands is normally ratioed to the draw weight of the bow, therefore on lower poundage bows, the 5 - 1 safety factor will remain or perhaps increase.

With the newer, smaller diameter materials like 452X and Trophy, the single strand breaking strength is less than 100 lbs but many more strands are used so at least a 5 - 1 safety factor is maintained.

Basically, using the manufacturers recommended number of strands x the breaking strength of the string, will assure you have a string with much more than adequate strength, and if you decide to drop a couple of strands to increase speed, the strength of the finished string will still exceed the maximum poundage generated by the bow.
    2012 Elite TOUR
    2011 Hoyt Alpha Elite
    Victory Archery
    Nuge Strings Test Pilot