Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Grim Reaper Razortips

Senior Member Eight Point Pulse76's Avatar

Default Grim Reaper Razortips

I'll start off by saying I know there are alot of guys on here that don't like the mechanicals. Personally, I like them. Never had any problems with my Rage 2 blades. I was due for some new ones for this fall, so I picked up some Grim Reaper Razortips (1 3/4"). I did a lot of research by searching the forums and saw alot of good comments about them. Also watched some mechanical broadhead tests and they seem to have great penetration. Just by the feel of them, they lock in place much better than the Rage's. Just have to test them at the range next week, but I'm guessing they will fly just like my field point. Satisfied so far
    2011 Pulse, AT/AP, 29.5"/72lbs
    HHA DS-5519, QAD HDX, Stokerized 10" Hunter
    GT Velocity XT arrows , G5 Magloc Compact Quiver

Respected Member Ten Point Stag nicko's Avatar

If I ever go back to a mechanical (and I don't yet know how Slicks will fly out of my Pulse), it will be Grim Reaper Razortips. I would have 100% confidence in them getting the job done.

Thanks nicko. I don't know a whole lot about fixed blades,as far as tuning them. Seems to me that the higher speed bows (like my Pulse) would be more finicky with tuning since the broadheads will be moving so fast. The expandables have flown just like field points for me and I've never had one fail. I used the NAP Thunderheads for years, until I switched to Rage in 2008. This was after watching my brother drop a buck at 72 yds with a Rage. I know it sounds unrealistic, but I ranged it with the rangefinder for him as we were walking out of the woods and saw the buck in a field. I was impressed that it flew perfectly out to that range and the damage it caused was unbelievable. The buck only went about 30 yds and dropped.....and looked like someone threw a small machete through it's vitals. Before anyone makes mention of ethical shots, I have watched my brother practice out to 80 yds and put down some pretty good groups at that range (3-4")...so he was comfortable with taking the shot.

Based on the looks, these Grim Reapers should still fly like field points.....but the part that intrigued me was the technology of them. I like that it has a spring shock absorber and the trocar tip is a nice feature. Should outperform my Rage with angled shots and I think the Grims would do much better when encountering bone.

Senior Member Four Point bigoleboy's Avatar

I have been using Grim Reapers for a couple years now and killed probably 8-10 deer with them. None have gone over approximatley 50-60 yds. One died in her tracks and I killed a fairly nice 8 point and two does last year with them. I have tried both fixed blade and other mechanicals and for me this is the best broad head on the market. I also have had large exit holes and easy to follow blood trails.

There are other broad heads out there that perform as well I suppose, but I am not gonna change something that is working good. My two cents on the subject.
    2012 Elite Answer 60lb
    2009 Elite - Z-28 70lb Ninja
    2009-Hoyt AM-32 60lb

Respected Member Ten Point Stag Chippy (aka Slippy)'s Avatar

So whats your question?

Quote Originally Posted by Pulse76 View Post
    I'll start off by saying I know there are alot of guys on here that don't like the mechanicals. Personally, I like them. Never had any problems with my Rage 2 blades. I was due for some new ones for this fall, so I picked up some Grim Reaper Razortips (1 3/4"). I did a lot of research by searching the forums and saw alot of good comments about them. Also watched some mechanical broadhead tests and they seem to have great penetration. Just by the feel of them, they lock in place much better than the Rage's. Just have to test them at the range next week, but I'm guessing they will fly just like my field point. Satisfied so far
    "Pain is weakness leaving the body"

- Kevin Strother

Quote Originally Posted by Chippy (aka Slippy) View Post
    So whats your question?
    No question, just making a statement that I like the quality of the Grim Reapers thus far.

You have any experience with them?

Senior Member Eight Point 168 p&y's Avatar

I was a die hard reaper fan until I lost two good deer with them. I tried to punch through a shoulder on one and deer jumped the string on other. I saw the arrows on both hits and they should of been dead in 50 yds. This bugged me alot the only thing I could figure was the head broke on bone. Well this past fall I got to try a 2" reaper on a deer carcass and sure enough head bent like a banana. It went in 4" through the T of the shoulder. The blades held up just the ferrule bent. I would stick with the 1 3/8" Reaper its alot stronger. By the way the wasp jak hammer was way tougher then the reaper. The blades bent back alittle but didnt break until the 5th or 6th shot. Even a 1/4ing on ball joint shot would of been fatal.I'll be shooting the wasp next year.

Respected Member Ten Point Stag HORSEMOVER's Avatar

I have shot a couple deer with them...no issues. Went back to Slick Tricks. Not sure what I will shoot this fall but currently shooting Easton Carbon Injexions so if I stay with that arrow I will have limited broadhead choices as they use the Deep Six inserts. Most likey will be shooting one of the NAP heads. Grim Reapers got the job done but I did get some irregular flight at longer distances with the whitetail specials. All the others flew fine.
    RIP CENSY...IT WAS A HECK OF A RIDE BROTHER

I am the Brumby Whisperer

优秀射箭胜过炒猪肉大米

Quote Originally Posted by HORSEMOVER View Post
    I have shot a couple deer with them...no issues. Went back to Slick Tricks. Not sure what I will shoot this fall but currently shooting Easton Carbon Injexions so if I stay with that arrow I will have limited broadhead choices as they use the Deep Six inserts. Most likey will be shooting one of the NAP heads. Grim Reapers got the job done but I did get some irregular flight at longer distances with the whitetail specials. All the others flew fine.
    I heard that about the 2" Whitetails. These are 1 3/4". I honestly wouldn't shoot anything past 40-50 yds. That's my Max range for comfort. No matter how much I practice, I just don't have steady enough hands to go past 50. Probably too much caffeine, but I can't function without coffee, LOL.

Respected Member Ten Point Stag Chippy (aka Slippy)'s Avatar

I like my reapers. Always been a fan of the 1 3/8 cut for whitetail. I've shot prolly 8 deer with the Reapers and all piled up within 75 yds.
    "Pain is weakness leaving the body"

- Kevin Strother