Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: When ordering a new bow

Respected Member Ten Point Stag Daniel Boone's Avatar

Default When ordering a new bow

Do the Elites come timed and set at the draw length you specify.

Some pro shops in my area have no draw boards.
    DB
    OK-Archery DST 40, 09 Elite Z28, Vortex binos 15X50 Vipers , Carter releases, Trophy Taker rests, Vapor Trail strings, Custom Bow Equipment sights, Goldtip arrows. B Stinger Stabilizers. Slick Tricks

Buckfevers Latest Victim Ten Point Stag Slugger's Avatar

Yes, your new elite will come in time and to your DL, "SUPER" tuning rarley yields more than 3 or so fps on an out of the box elite
    Elite GTO

"These days man knows the price of everything, but the value of nothing." Oscar Wilde

Respected Member Ten Point Stag shootstraight's Avatar

I check all of mine on the drawboard and they are usually really close. My XLR was spot on but realize that as the bow is used and the strings/cables settle that they will need to be checked on occasion. If your gonna stay with this line for any length of time your probably going to want to put a drawboard together. They are really simple to build and quite handy, their are numerous designs on this site. I personally think that supertuning is overated.
    2011 Pure Sno AT 29/60
    Frequent Frankenbower

Respected Member Ten Point Stag nagster's Avatar

When I got mine out of the box, it hit IBO. so im assuming it came timed. Michael took the time to check and recheck timing and do whatever he needed to do, But im pretty sure it came out the box almost perfect.

DB,

there have been many posts on how to make a draw board, and I think it can be done for fairly cheap.

Senior Member Eight Point BAArcher's Avatar

If you get through Scottie/PA, he will check timing, DL and let off. 100% satisified with his service.
    XLR 60lb
    XLR 70lb
    Mathews Apex (sale pending)
    Hoyt Protec
    Suffer from BO-CD!

Respected Member Ten Point jcmorgan31's Avatar

Why don't they have draw boards?

Every bow that comes in my shop, regardless of the brand or cam system ends up on the draw board. Draw boards make everything easier. Checking poundage, checking draw length, setting cam timing, setting single cam orientations, installing drop away rests and the list goes on.

Building one isn't rocket science and it costs less than $50. I've seen shops with much more expensive tools with far fewer uses.
    Owner of:

Pathfinder Arrow Wraps

Respected Member Ten Point Stag Daniel Boone's Avatar

Default Most my pro buddies dont have draw boards

Quote Originally Posted by jcmorgan31 View Post
    Why don't they have draw boards?

Every bow that comes in my shop, regardless of the brand or cam system ends up on the draw board. Draw boards make everything easier. Checking poundage, checking draw length, setting cam timing, setting single cam orientations, installing drop away rests and the list goes on.

Building one isn't rocket science and it costs less than $50. I've seen shops with much more expensive tools with far fewer uses.
    Some of the best shooter out there on the tournament trail. Up to now I never needed one with a Hoyt or Mathews,'
    DB
    OK-Archery DST 40, 09 Elite Z28, Vortex binos 15X50 Vipers , Carter releases, Trophy Taker rests, Vapor Trail strings, Custom Bow Equipment sights, Goldtip arrows. B Stinger Stabilizers. Slick Tricks

Respected Member Ten Point jcmorgan31's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Boone View Post
    Some of the best shooter out there on the tournament trail. Up to now I never needed one with a Hoyt or Mathews,'
    DB
    You aren't a shop owner DB and just because you never used one on your Hoyt or Mathews doesn't mean it wouldnt have made working on one easier.

For a shop owner, it makes perfect sense when working on bows. I can draw the bow on the board and lock it. From there I can get the exact draw length at the appropriate let-off, I can nock an arrow and mark it for cutting, I can let the bow down a couple inches and install a drop away properly, I can set draw stops precisely and I can set timing withought having someone else draw the bow and look at it. From my standpoint, I wouldn't have a shop without one. From a shooters standpoint, if my shop had one, I might not.
    Owner of:

Pathfinder Arrow Wraps

Respected Member Ten Point Stag Chippy (aka Slippy)'s Avatar

Exclamation

You aren't a shop owner DB and just because you never used one on your Hoyt or Mathews doesn't mean it wouldnt have made working on one easier.
    OUCH!

"Pain is weakness leaving the body"

- Kevin Strother

Senior Member Six Point fatboy95's Avatar

For a shop owner, it makes perfect sense when working on bows. I can draw the bow on the board and lock it. From there I can get the exact draw length at the appropriate let-off, I can nock an arrow and mark it for cutting, I can let the bow down a couple inches and install a drop away properly, I can set draw stops precisely and I can set timing withought having someone else draw the bow and look at it. From my standpoint, I wouldn't have a shop without one. From a shooters standpoint, if my shop had one, I might not.
    Totally agree with this... draw board lets you see whats going on with your bow without taking a chance on someone else holding it at full draw.